Monday, January 31, 2005

UNMAAD...

This weekend saw me enjoying myself at the IIMB rock shows...they have this yearly affair called UNMAAD..and this year they had 2 rock shows..the first was on Friday featuring Indian Ocean and Strings..and the second part was on Sunday featuring Parikrama and Moksha...
I was there both the days and both had their own charms.. C was gonna come with us for the Friday event but office work prevented her from coming..she missed some good stuff..it was definitely her kind of music..
Indian Ocean opened the act and I knew them only by their "Black Friday" fame.. This band has a very earthy sound and is very good at fusion.. they had this imprompto jugalbandi and the audience was spell bound ...In bangalore you need good stage presence or you will get booed off stage.. And this band had good stage presence..they had a lot of their tracks in one of the dialects of north india..it is a variation of hindi..so I actually did not catch the meaning of most of their songs but they all sounded good..i loved it whenever they broke into an instrumental..
String was the perfect band to top this up..they too have very good stage presence... they also sure do know how to woo the crowd..in the middle of their gig they broke into a medley of hindi songs ranging from "Om Shanti Om" to the popular" Koi Kahe" from Dil Chatha Hai.... There was even a little marketing done for their home country...Pakistan.. I was hoping that they would play "Dur" which was the song that shot them to fame.. they had saved this for the end.. We left as son as they were through with "Dur", ensuring that this song was stuck in our head until the next day..
Sunday was no less fun..Moksha took to the stage and played some brilliant covers peppered with their own compositions.. they actually built up the mood for Parikrama to take the stage.. They were definitely playing some hard stuff.. Just as I was wondering if it can get any better, we had Parikrama on stage.. they had covers mostly and just one or two of their compositions..
I loved all the covers they played..they played some of my favourite stuff..maybe THAT made me appreciate them more... The played "Coming Back to LIfe" by pink floyd..and this is like one of my all time favourite songs.. As soon as the first parts of this song wafted to our ears..Sourabh and Smitha gave me this knowing look..they knew that i absolutely trip on this song.. this song always reminds me of an open highway and me on my bike trying to get across..
They also played "yellow" by "Coldplay" which all of us love.. this song is very beautifully written and i love the video of this song..so simple...
this was one weekend well spent.. Techincally it ended on Monday for Sourabh and me as it was around 12:30 am when we got home after dropping S and her sis back home.. We did have a nice drive back home.. i always enjoy driving at night..the whole atmosphere is so peaceful and the roads are devoid of all traffic..it so serene...

1 comment:

shub said...

nored...so looking throuhg ur archives :D
hey I lovvvvvve coming back to life too! :)think i'm gonna listen to it now!