Sunday, May 01, 2005

Savandurga..

This weekend saw me riding to Savandurga..This is a quiet little place about 70 km from Bangalore..I was to meet the others at 7:30 and we were to take off at 8:00.. Considering that i had been partying late the previous day..it was quite an effort to make it to the venue..but the fact that i was one of the ride co-ordinators egged me on.
I had actually crashed out at my friend's place the previous night..so after a gargatuan effort,i managed to wake up and make my way home by 6:30 in the morning..a quick bath and some quicker packing..and was out the door by 7:15..I was planning to ride slow upto the venue so that i could clear my drowsiness and the hangover..this plan did not work for long..just a couple of kilometres ahead i happenend to see Rocky and Lohith on Airport road.. So, it turned out to become a race to the venue thing...
Soon we were all at the Town Hall which was the designated starting point..After the introductions and a little planning it was time to set off..Lohith and me would be in the lead..and Rocky and Vikas were to sweep.. So..off it was at around 8:10..and bang into Sunday morning traffic..
the first 20 odd kms were just pure frustration.. the traffic was too much to bear.. but for me it was a blessing in disguise..it gave me enough of a buffer time to actually clear my head..and clear it did just in time for the clear roads that we soon came across.. they were pure bliss.. a biker's dream if i may say so. there were so many twists and every one of them banked so well..
I had last seen such good twists on the way back from Mangalore.. and then i was still learning the art of going around corners.. All that i read and had been told came to mind..and what better time to put it into practice..
I was in the lead and had to make sure that i kept the pace going..there was my motivation..and the speedometer just reflecting that.. i was slowly increasing my speed..and realised that all that i had learned on paper was now going well in practice.. I kept my lines well and leant into the curves as anybody would have.. this built up my confidence.. and soon i was doing about 80-90 on those curves ..i even took it upto 100+ once.. the feeling was just awesome... there comes a point in every ride when you feel one with the bike.and this was it for me today..especially with Pink Floyd in my ears..ah it was just bliss..
Soon..sadly since i was just getting warmed up...we were at Magadi..This was our breakfast stop..and that is when i realised how hungry i was..it was nearly 16 hours since i had last eaten a proper meal..
Post breakfast we set off to Savandurga..it was a short ride of about 15 -20 km..and all of it on narrow village roads..The rock is pretty imposing at first.. the sheer size of it is enough to say PHEW.. and was lost in admiring it.. and we were soon clamouring to scale this rock.. It was a pretty difficult task especially in the swelterin gheat.. but we did manage to cover about 1/3rd of the distance..After the climb the guys were all pining for beer..but i guess that would not be a good idea.. at least i am not comfortable with the drinking and driving thing..especially on a highway..After some debate on what next..it was decided that we would all head home..I was more than ready for a nice home cooked lunch and a longg siesta..
So off it was by 12:00 or so.. and this time too i was in the lead and was testing the speed limits on those twisties..these curves i could fall for anytime:)
The return journey was pretty similar to the onward one.. except for the rise in temprature..and the traffic too..
Was home by 2:30 and in time for a nice lunch and slept till late in the evening..
A fitting way to finish off a sunday ride.. So guess this means that i will be found on some highway or the other on most sundays:)))

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On a sunday afternoon, just on a whim i went to savandurga - havnt even heard about the place otehr than a board I saw on ORR, but, i was in for a pleasent surprize....the roads are really good, and the curves, a bikers dream...really you can lean well, and can do fast sweeps...i corsssed 100 on many curves... it was really a nice little trip. took me around 2.5 hrs for teh round trip..didnt stop there to climb teh rock - reached there and came back... :)