Friday, September 24, 2004

Chennai- The Indian Sauna experience

Is Chennai hot or is Chennai hot??? easy question I guess. You can rest assured that your answer is right, but if you are still groping around for an answer, then my friend please lead your browser elsewhere....
Well, getting back to Chennai. I had to visit this place for a day, and I now know the Secret behind all the slim tams in the movies. I guess the heat even explains their tempers. hmm..no wonder they are so docile in bangalore..put them back in their humid native and they are ready to take down the neighboring auto driver, and a few of his accomplices...
Man, the way those autos move around re-instates my belief in luck. Or else how do you explain so many vehicles hurtling recklessly and none of them colliding with the regularity you expect..Those guys use their brakes as the last resort..mut be the heat factor again...
The heat was so oppressive that, all I had to do was step out and walk for 10 minutes, and I would be soaked in perspiration...And the meticulous person that I am, no hanky or anything other than my sleeve to wipe my brow....I elicited quite a few stares..Imagine walking around the place looking like you stepped auto of a shower,clothes et al....When I arrived at the hotel, the lift operator did not have the patience to wait for me to get off before he started guffawing t my plight..The AC in the room did seem like heaven after that...
Before arriving at Chennai, I was warned about the con artist there who walk around looking like auto drivers..Surprisingly this was not a worrying factor for me..or maybe I was not very focused considering the heat..
Lunch at Chennai was a good one though. The local branch of Pizza Corner had an offer of all-you-can-eat for 100 bucks(99 actually..but lets not be cheap here..what's another rupee when there are 99 more involved)..I reckon they have taken down all their signboards after I left them..After devouring the first pizza, the waiter brought in the second one with his smile already inverting.....The third pizza brought out a weird look on his face and by the fourth he was wary of my table...I had a difficult time getting his attention after that..I wonder why???
It was a pity that I could not visit any places in Chennai, what with my schedule...I would have liked to see the beach..but decided against it after realizing that me and the heat did not get along very well....On the brighter side, I might have lost a little weight....I think one of my rides will be towards Chennai..but in winter....


No comments: